Monday, August 8, 2011

Summer Reading: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe and Dairy Queen

Summer reading is something people so often times dread, but not me! I am probably the only one in my entire grade who enjoys to read (most of them are idiots though, who saw that coming?). Anyway, our summer reading consisted of The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis and Dairy Queen by Catherine Gilbert Murdock. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe was required reading for everyone and then you had a small list you could choose from of books and I choose Dairy Queen. It was SUCH an amazing book, I must tell you that I wasn't looking forward to reading it. Me being a girly girl and all, well, I didn't think I would be able to relate at all. But before I go on confusing everyone let me give a summary of the book:

When you don’t talk, there’s a lot of stuff that ends up not getting said.

Harsh words indeed, from Brian Nelson of all people. But, D. J. can’t help admitting, maybe he’s right.

Stuff like why her best friend, Amber, isn’t so friendly anymore. Or why her little brother, Curtis, never opens his mouth. Why her mom has two jobs and a big secret. Why her college-football-star brothers won’t even call home. Why her dad would go ballistic if she tried out for the high school football team herself. And why Brian is so, so out of her league.

Welcome to the summer that fifteen-year-old D. J. Schwenk of Red Bend, Wisconsin, learns to talk, and ends up having an awful lot of stuff to say.


So it is really a great book that I would recommend to almost anyone because it is so gender friendly. I mean, it isn't one of those bubble gum chewing teeny bopper girly books that no boy in his right mind would read. And if a girl as girly as me could read it, anyone can.

Now, I know everyone knows about the The Chronicles of Narnia. What with a movie franchise and C.S. Lewis's books being classified often as classics, we have all heard of The Chronicles of Narnia. I hadn't read The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe since fourth grade and it was just as good if not better than I remember it. It was just really interesting and well written, with a great plot but also an adventurous and fantsasy filled. Which always provides a great escape from life. I won't provide a synopsis for this book, I think everyone has heard of the story. So, yea, please check them both out if you hadn't already, they are REALLY great!! I just love Narnia because of the greatness of it's writing and the Christian symbolism I find really interesting as well. So check them out!!!

1 comment:

  1. I like to read, jerk. -___-
    Anyway.
    I love how The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe hints at Christianity, but it's subtle and I just love that book so much. I finished it yesterday. ):

    YAY, SCHOOL MONDAY!

    ReplyDelete